About Alcohol Addiction
Alcoholism, or alcohol abuse disorder, is a serious and sometimes life-threatening medical problem that can ruin people’s lives. Quitting drinking is very difficult, and some people even avoid trying due to fear of the alcohol withdrawal symptoms.
If you’re struggling to stop abusing alcohol, you’re not alone. Nearly 16 million Americans ages 18 years and older reported heavy alcohol use in 2019. Alcohol abuse can contribute to or lead to more than 200 medical conditions, with the effects of misuse costing the U.S. $249 billion in 2010.
Buena Vista, a successful Arizona alcohol detox center and treatment campus, offers medically monitored detoxification services to rid your body of alcohol while easing the withdrawal symptoms. Are you ready to take the first step toward recovery?
A Few Signs of Alcohol Abuse Disorder
- Drinking more than you intended, and more over time to get the same effect
- Spending too much of your time drinking and being sick afterward
- Wanting to quit or reduce alcohol intake but being unable to do so
- Drinking that is interfering with your home, social and/or work life
- Drinking even in dangerous circumstances such as while driving or using machinery
- Experiencing memory blackouts
- Drinking even when it causes depression or anxiety
- Experiencing withdrawal symptoms as the effects of alcohol wear off
WHY IS A MEDICALLY MONITORED ALCOHOL DETOX IMPORTANT?
It can feel impossible to stop drinking once an addiction has formed, and trying to do so on your own can be dangerous or even deadly. The intensity and potential dangers of an alcohol detox depend on many factors, including:
- The amount of alcohol you abuse
- How long you’ve been misusing alcohol
- Your physical characteristics and make-up
- Any existing medical conditions
You can minimize your withdrawal symptoms by choosing Buena Vista’s medically supervised alcohol detox in Arizona. Our specialists can help ease any pain, discomfort, or intense cravings you feel during the process. Depending on the severity and history of alcohol abuse, some of the withdrawal symptoms you experience may include:
- Confusion, tremors, psychosis, or hallucinations
- Anxiety, insomnia, or depression
- Extreme fatigue
- Nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting
- Body aches
- Irritability and mood swings
Some people also experience Delirium Tremens (DTs). This response usually occurs two to five days after the last drink and may cause confusion, fever, shaking, and/or high blood pressure.
Alcohol detox can be an incredibly grueling experience to endure on your own. The process doesn’t get any easier, even if you’ve gone through detox before. In fact, the more frequently you’ve gone through detox, the higher your risk of experiencing more severe symptoms or potential complications.
BENEFITS OF A PROFESSIONAL ALCOHOL DETOX CENTER
There are many benefits of seeking treatment at a professional alcohol detox center instead of going at it alone, including:
- Reduced withdrawal symptoms
- Less intense alcohol cravings
- A safer detox process
- Minimized risk of ongoing alcohol abuse or relapse
- Improved ability to think clearly and focus on recovery
Without medical assistance in the detox process, you become more likely to drink to reduce painful withdrawal symptoms or intense cravings. At worst, you may drink more excessively to feel better faster, increasing the risk of an overdose.
WHAT CAUSES ALCOHOL WITHDRAWAL?
Alcohol has a depressive effect on the body and brain function. It physically changes the way your nerves communicate with one another. With extended and excessive use, your body constantly adjusts to the presence of alcohol, requiring your brain to work harder, more frequently.
When you suddenly quit or significantly reduce your alcohol consumption, your system goes into shock as it frantically tries to re-balance the chemicals in your brain on its own, causing withdrawal symptoms.
Depending on how much you drank and how long, mild symptoms can occur within six hours after your last drink. By 12 to 48 hours post-drink, you may start experiencing more serious symptoms. Severe and life-threatening symptoms can persist for up to 72 hours from your last drink.
WHAT ARE THE NEXT STEPS AFTER AN ALCOHOL DETOX?
Detox addresses only the physical aspects of addiction. After you successfully get through alcohol detox treatment, you want to continue your lifelong journey to full recovery and long-term sobriety.
Buena Vista offers a range of rehabilitative services at our alcohol detox center for people in state and out of state to help them understand the causes of their addiction and continue their battle against alcohol abuse. Our services include individual and group therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, counseling, and professional monitoring.
WHY BUENA VISTA?
At Buena Vista, we prioritize your health and safety through an individualized care approach. Our physicians and counselors are available 24 hours a day to help keep you out of danger, minimize the symptoms you’re experiencing, and discuss your treatment options following the detox.
Additionally, we provide greater care, support, and comfort with:
- Private inpatient rooms with Netflix access for downtime
- Daily visits with your doctor
- Gourmet meals and snacks
- Master-level, licensed therapists
- Smoking permitted for patients 21 and older
- Individual case managers
- Regular individual therapy sessions
- Assistance with transportation
- Support for legal issues
- Aftercare planning
HOW CAN I LEARN MORE ABOUT THE BUENA VISTA ALCOHOL DETOX CENTER?
Learning more about our treatment options, including our alcohol detox program, can benefit you or a loved one struggling with alcohol addiction. We’ll provide you with the details and tools needed to make an informed decision as to whether our programs align with your needs.
If you’d like more information about one of our treatment programs, here are your next steps:
- Use this link and fill out the form.
- Once you’ve submitted our contact form, one of our caring and knowledgeable addiction professionals will contact you to discuss your individual needs. We can also answer questions and develop a potential treatment plan.
- You decide whether to enroll in treatment. If you choose to get help, we’ll get you started with your personalized plan at one of our locations as soon as possible.
TAKE YOUR FIRST STEP ON THE ROAD TO RECOVERY
Before recovery can begin, you must go through detox with all its side effects. Alcohol detox can cause serious physical harm—the delirium tremens (DTs) and seizures can be fatal. Our board-certified physicians and highly qualified, experienced nursing staff closely monitor every patient to keep him or her safe and as comfortable as possible. Alcohol detox usually takes about a week, although it varies by individual.
Alcohol withdrawal symptoms range from mild to severe; those who drink more generally experience more intense symptoms. The staff at our Arizona alcohol detox center is dedicated to helping you get through withdrawal symptoms.
Ready to regain control of your life? Take the first step on your journey to addiction recovery today.
Buena Vista Recovery works with most insurance plans, including but not limited to Cigna, Magellan, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Humana, and Aetna, among others. On rare occasions, if a plan is not included in our network, our clinical outreach director will assist you in finding a placement in your network.