Opioid Detoxification Program
Opioids, narcotics that are prescribed to relieve pain after injury or surgery, can cause physical dependence. While some opioid users become addicted after prescribed use, others suffer addiction after taking narcotics that were not prescribed for them.
Symptoms of Opioid Addiction
- Strong cravings for the drug
- Drug tolerance that results in using more than intended or for longer than intended
- Experiencing withdrawal symptoms when use is curtailed or slowed
- Continuing to take opioids even after negative results
- Interference with normal life activities, resulting in the user avoiding work or social situations
- Taking opioids while performing potentially dangerous activities such as driving
- Spending a significant amount of time getting, using or taking the drug
Treatment of Withdrawal Symptoms
After taking the drug for a while, some individuals find that when they stop or cut back, they experience withdrawal symptoms, which causes them to increase their reliance on the drug. Over time, more of the drug is needed to produce the same effect.
How can this vicious cycle be ended? Opioid addiction treatment centers that offer medically monitored withdrawal programs are the answer. When opioid drug use is stopped, the body experiences uncomfortable or even severe withdrawal symptoms, and only competent, experienced medical professionals, like those at our opioid detox center, can get patients through the withdrawal process safely and with the least amount of discomfort. Don’t trust your life or the life of your loved one on to a treatment provider that does NOT advocate Medically Managed Detox
After conducting a thorough physical exam, blood tests and psychological testing, our medical team may prescribe medications to relieve withdrawal symptoms while also managing cravings. Other drugs may be prescribed to help treat vomiting and sleep problems. Antidepressants may also be prescribed as needed.
While opioid detoxification is never pleasant, the staff at Buena Vista is committed to doing everything possible to make our patients comfortable during the process.