INDIVIDUAL SUBSTANCE ABUSE COUNSELING
At Buena Vista Recovery, we offer individual therapy for substance abuse that deals with both the physical (detox) and mental health (therapy) effects of alcohol and drug addiction. After detox is successfully completed, patients need to understand what factors caused or contributed to their addiction, how to maintain abstinence, and how to avoid triggers that lead to relapse.
While many patients benefit from being involved in group therapy, the one-on-one therapy of individual substance abuse counseling has different goals and benefits than group therapy.
The goal of individual drug counseling or alcohol counseling is to help the recovering addict focus on staying sober for life while gaining new coping mechanisms. On the other hand, group therapy allows multiple patients to come together and address and express their shared struggles, support one another, learn to communicate more effectively, and develop trusting relationships.
Through individual treatment for substance abuse, patients learn new ways to manage daily stresses. Additionally, individual therapy for substance abuse is customized to a single patient’s unique needs and can be used to identify and work through underlying issues that led to addiction, such as grief or trauma. One-on-one counseling also treats co-occurring conditions such as depression and anxiety.
BENEFITS OF INDIVIDUAL THERAPY FOR ADDICTION
There are many patient benefits of individual therapy for addiction, including:
- A better understanding of themselves and their trigger(s)
- Development of new healthy coping skills to manage addiction cravings
- Improved stress tolerance and ability to handle challenging situations and emotions
- Increased self-confidence
- Enhanced communication skills
- Opportunity to identify and work through issues that contributed to addiction
APPROACHES TO INDIVIDUAL ADDICTION COUNSELING
We offer several counseling techniques because we recognize not all patients are the same age, suffer from the same addictions, share the same factors that led to addiction, or respond to therapy in the same way.
The most common methods include the following:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy helps patients understand the causes of their behavior while recognizing and modifying negative ways of thinking that lead to risky behavior patterns.
- Dialectical behavior therapy treats substance abuse and suicidal patients by helping them accept uncomfortable thoughts, decrease harmful behaviors and create a life worth living.
- Contingency management provides incentives that reinforce positive behavior, especially maintaining abstinence. Patients may receive rewards or vouchers for food and movies.
- Motivational enhancement therapy is used in the early stages of treatment to encourage the patient to commit fully to treatment and recovery plans.
- Family counseling includes patients and their families. The family learns about the causes of addiction, how to reduce the risk of relapse, and behaviors that support the patient’s recovery.
WHY PAIR GROUP AND INDIVIDUAL THERAPY?
Regardless of which method is used, individual therapy for substance abuse—one-on-one conversations with a trained therapist—is intended to complement group counseling. The patient gains different insights and tools from each type of therapy. The most effective substance abuse treatment plans combine several programs to produce a comprehensively optimal result for each specific patient.
GET THE BEST INDIVIDUAL THERAPY FOR SUBSTANCE ABUSE AT BUENA VISTA
Searching for substance abuse individual therapy that works? Ready to regain control of your life? Take the first step on your journey to addiction recovery today.
Complete the form on our Contact Us page or give our admissions line a call to learn more about the substance abuse treatment programs we offer and how individual therapy for substance abuse may benefit you.
We’ll help you build a personalized treatment plan that best suits your needs. Additionally, we’ll verify if we’re in-network for your insurance provider. Or, you can check our Insurance Verification page. Buena Vista works with most insurance plans, but if we’re not included in your network, our clinical outreach director will help you find a placement.